Pre & Post Laser After Care
Don’t you love that feeling of having just undergone a professional skin treatment knowing your skin is on its way to achieving that healthy glow? But before you get carried away, it’s important to note that having your treatment - whether it’s a skin peel/resurfacer, microdermabrasion, laser resurfacing, or any other type of exfoliating rejuvenation treatment - is just the first step in your journey to achieving beautiful, healthy-looking skin.
After treatment, your practitioner may provide you with an aftercare pack, or recommend a number of products to apply to your skin to help keep it comfortable and aid the natural healing process. As we age, the skin’s natural ability to regenerate slows down, so nourishing and hydrating your skin helps to support its recovery.
Key Aftercare Tips
- Prevent further sun damage after treatment by applying good quality sun protection with at least SPF 50, several times a day.
- Allow your skin to go through its natural healing process - do NOT pick, scrub or peel at scabs, crusting or dry skin that may form after treatment. Allow your body to shed the dead skin cells naturally (unless specifically instructed to do otherwise.)
- Always follow any post procedure aftercare instructions given to you by your practitioner. These will be tailored to your skin, so focus on the specific advice given to you only.
- Note that for 48 hours (or more) after treatment your skin may be red, swollen and vulnerable to infection. Keep your skin clean and moisturised - as instructed.
PRETREATMENT/POST TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
Precautions to take before your light-based treatment:
- No sun exposure, tanning beds and sunless tanning cream for 4 weeks prior to treatment.
Sun exposure decreases the effectiveness of the laser treatment and can increase the chance of post-treatment complications.
- Use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF of 50 or higher. Apply to the treated area every 2 hours when exposed to the sun and it is recommended to make this a part of your skin care routine.
- Remove all makeup, creams or oils prior to treatment.
Instructions following your laser treatment: General (Pigment and Tattoo):
- Cleanse the treated area at least daily with water and mild soap, and then pat the area dry.
- Do not rub or scratch the treated area.
- If crusting/scabbing occurs, do not shave or pick area. Apply Post Treatment Balm or other moisturiser (face) to the area 2-3 times a day. Keep the area moist, and let the crusting/scabbing resolve on its own.
- Discomfort may be relieved by cold gel packs and/or an over the counter pain reliever, such as
- Avoid contact sports or any other activity that could cause injury of the treated area.
- Avoid swimming, soaking or using hot tubs/whirlpools until the skin heals.
- Contact physician if there is any indication of infection (redness, tenderness or pus).
- After cleansing and while skin is still moist, apply a thin layer of Post Treatment Balm to the treated tattoo.
- Apply a non-stick pad over the tattoo until it is healed.
- Avoid sun exposure to the treated area. Use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or
- Apply to the treated area every 2 hours when exposed to the sun and it is recommended to make this a part of your skin care routine.
- Clean area daily with mild soap and water and pat dry.
- Do not rub or scratch the area.
- Discomfort may be relieved by using cool gel packs or acetaminophen.
- If blistering occurs, keep the area moist by applying Post Treatment Balm 3 times per day or antibiotic ointment per recommendation of the physician. Do not enter swimming pools or hot tubs until treated areas are healed.
- No swimming or using hot tubs for 48 hours post-treatment.
There are no products listed under this category.